Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

My tasty BBQ Pies!

On Thursday we had some very special friends for lunch.  Seeing the weather has been rather warm here of late I decided to make some very tasty little pies.
I made 2 lots.  One~Sundried tomato, Pumpkin & fetta and Second~Egg & Bacon.  I served them with a loverly garden salad & a smidge of Balsamic Vinegar.
This is how I did them...
Shortcrust pastry (cut into squares)
Market Fresh Butternut Pumpkin (cut into tiny squares)
half a cup of sundried tomatos
Fresh Fetta cheese (also cut into small squares)
5 free range eggs (beaten)

I placed the pastry on top of kitchen paper and used that as lining.  I placed them into mufin trays and realy pushed them into the bottom so they have the same shape as the muffin tin when they come out.

I them placed all of the rest of the food into the pastry cups then poured the egg over the top.


For the Bacon and egg ones I baiscally did the same thing except used differeing ingredients...

Hormone free/Low fat bacon...(or you can simply use lean ham and shread it)
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Garlic chives~ chopped.
5 free range eggs~beaten.

Again just place into the pastry cups and cover with the egg.  Once cooked remove the paper and serve with a drizzle of Balsamic.
Now, normally I would cook in a moderate oven for about 20-30 mins.  However, our oven is 'out of order' at the moment.
At first I panicked, I thought "Oh no...what to do!!" I even was about to drive to my sisters to use her oven.  Instead I thought, Hmmm, I often cook Pizzas and "bake" roast meat in our hooded BBQ so I wonder if I could "bake" mini pies.  I put 2 in as a trial, and I was totaly amazed at the result...they were perfect.  I must admit they were a little dark on the bottom so with the next lot I place a cake tin unter the muffin try to raise it off the hot plate...It worked a treat.
Im so happy with my discovery.  I might try a few other things.  Now I know if Im ever stuck, My trusty ol' BBQ will save me.
My yummy little Pies on my trusty BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment